By Joy Wands
The ongoing covid19 pandemic has brought life to a standstill. World over, people are held up in their homes either voluntarily or by government decree. For a person who have been used to the fast pace of life, adjusting to this lifestyle is very difficult. It is important that we keep ourselves busy and productive as we wait this out because quite frankly, no one seems to know when we shall be able to return to a normal life.
In this article, I will show you how you can turn your balcony into something cabin like or woodsy using wooden pallets. This is a project you can undertake with the whole family.
Materials you will need;
- A saw
- Paint brush
- Tape measure
Pallets wood is durable and can last for over 10 years outdoors if kept fairly dry. It is therefore perfect wood to use on your balcony. Another advantage of using pallet wood is that it is easy to maintain and clean. All you really need to clean is lots of soapy water or bleach, scrub need to scrub the wood with soapy water or bleach and rinse it well the proceed to dry it.
Using the following simple steps, you’ll be able to make over your balcony, a project all the family can participate in;
- Dismantle the pallets so that you have single pieces of wood.
- Come up with a design on how you want the wood to be placed.
- Measure the area you want to cover. You may chose to cover one side of the wall, the ceiling, floor or the whole balcony all together, the choice is yours. You can even use pallets for the railings, the options are limitless.
- Measure out the pallets you shall need for this project and cut them into size and shape as required.
- Proceed to lay them out, sand and varnish them, the varnishing will help to seal and water proof the pallets.
- Nail them onto the wall in your preferred design.
- Proceed to make a pallet bench and table where the family can sit and relax.
- To bring some green to your balcony, hang potted plants onto the pallet background you have just created.
Now sit back and enjoy your beautiful creation!
NOTE: Pallets can be painted into any color of your choice, in future if you feel the need to change from wood to any color, all you’ll need to do is to sand them down and paint.